We teach real Martial Arts for children. Jiu Jitsu & Muay Thai work because of leverage & physics. They also require hard work and lots of sweat. No shortcuts, no secret death touches. Just real hands on martial arts, real benefits, real skills, and real fun!
Martial Arts & Fitness are the mediums we use to accomplish many other goals in our program, but are singularly important for children’s well-being.
BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU IS
- A grappling Martial Art.
- Commonly accepted as THE MOST EFFECTIVE martial art for self-defense.
- Developed so that a smaller person can overcome the power of a larger attacker using leverage.
- A highly intellectual and physically demanding martial art.
- Has taken the world by storm since it edged out all other Martial Arts in the early days of Mixed Martial Arts(MMA – as seen in the UFC and other leagues).
MUAY THAI IS
- A striking art that focuses on punches, kicks and knee/elbow strikes.
- Widely considered the most effective striking Martial Art.
- Considered an integral part of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA).
- Practiced by all professional fighters in the UFC and other MMA leagues.
OUR FIVE TENANTS
1) MENTAL TOUGHNESS
Mental Toughness means moving forward in the face of adversity. Physical education is one of the best platforms for learning how to confront challenges in life with a successful attitude. Here are some of the mental toughness concepts we explore:
- How to develop Mental Toughness through practice.
- How to accept challenges instead of avoiding them.
- How to become aware of internal dialogue when facing adversity.
- How to change internal dialogue to help face challenges confidently.
- How to be self-reliant and how to use support systems (coaches, friends, family) when needed.
2) PROPER BODY ALIGNMENT AND MOVEMENT
Proper Body Alignment & Movement Patterns are the foundations of good athletics performance, injury prevention and healthy bodies. If your child learns real body awareness and how to move correctly, they will be able to translate those skills into all sports and physical endeavors. Here are some of the concepts we explore with the children in our program:
- What good posture really means.
- How to walk and run efficiently and properly.
- How to properly fall and keep one’s body safe.
- How to safely get the maximum power out of one’s muscles & body structure.
3) HEALTHY COMMUNICATION
Communicating Responsibly is paramount for team work as well as simply getting what we need. Proper communication is a fundamental part of our physical experience and is addressed in all our activities. Here are some of the communication concepts we explore:
- How to introduce yourself and speak to people respectfully
- Taking responsibility for our feelings,
- Differentiating between “needs” and “wants,”
- Communicating our needs properly.
4) THE ART OF LEARNING
The Art of Learning is the perhaps the most important skill kids can develop here. Students will learn the process of improving a skill, how to approach complex problems, how to move through challenging phases and witness the joy and satisfaction their hard work brings. Some Art of Learning concepts we cover include:
- Recognizing the relationship between intentional practice and results.
- Using losses/setbacks as a tool for improvement.
- Fixed Mentality vs Growth Mentality.
- Pattern recognition (aka “chunking”) & problem solving.
In any martial art, kids practice potentially dangerous movements with peers and adults. Trust is required to safely perform these movements, which is necessary to progress and learn.
- Trust is a fundamental aspect of communication
- Kids learn to trust adults as role models and as resources
- Trust is required to be a good partner
- How to give trust in order to receive it